Tuesday - March 04, 2008

Topic: Rare or Endangered Plants
Title: Possibility of obtaining seed of Styrax platanifolius
Answered by: Barbara Medford and Flo Oxley

QUESTION:

Where can I obtain seeds for the Styrax platanifolius written about in your Spring 2008 issue of Wildflower? I have raised from seed quite a few native trees and would like to try raising Styrax.

ANSWER:

Styrax platanifolius (sycamoreleaf snowbell) is a Federally listed endangered plant, with only a few known populations, mostly on private land and, at this time, seeds are not available. Since the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is focused on the care and preservation of native plants, we appreciate your effort to raise one that is endangered. At some point in the future, private gardens like yours may be the last refuge of those plants now being threatened by grazing, development and mismanagement. This Texas Parks and Wildlife website has excellent information on the present and future prospects for this lovely native tree.