Tuesday - March 04, 2008

From: Cheboygan, MI
Topic: Groundcovers, Ferns, Herbs/Forbs, Shrubs, Vines
Title: Native plants for memorial garden in Michigan

I want to start a memorial garden for my daughter. I live in northern Michigan and the area has very tall white pines we have pruned them up about 15' so the area does get partial sun. Which plants will grow under the pines. I would like some ground cover and vines to climb a wattle fence. Thank you

There are lots of choices for groundcovers for Michigan that should do well in your daughter's memorial garden. Some of them will grow in partial shade, a few will grow in full shade, and others will grow in sun, partial shade and shade.

Arctostaphylos uva-ursi (kinnikinnick)

Asarum canadense (Canadian wildginger)

Carex pensylvanica (Pennsylvania sedge)

Cornus canadensis (bunchberry dogwood)

Fragaria virginiana (Virginia strawberry)

Geranium maculatum (spotted geranium)

Mitchella repens (partridgeberry)

Phlox pilosa (downy phlox)

Polystichum acrostichoides (Christmas fern)

Viola sororia (common blue violet)

Viola pedata (birdfoot violet)

Here are vines that are native to Michigan

Celastrus scandens (American bittersweet)

Campsis radicans (trumpet creeper)

Clematis occidentalis var. occidentalis (western blue virginsbower)

Clematis virginiana (devil's darning needles)

Lonicera sempervirens (trumpet honeysuckle)

Parthenocissus quinquefolia (Virginia creeper)

Wisteria frutescens (American wisteria)

You can also find an entire list of native species recommended for Michigan or you can make your own list by doing a "Combination Search" on the Native Plant Database.

Arctostaphylos uva-ursi

Asarum canadense

Carex pensylvanica

Cornus canadensis

Fragaria virginiana

Geranium maculatum

Mitchella repens

Phlox pilosa

Polystichum acrostichoides

Viola sororia

Viola pedata

Celastrus scandens

Campsis radicans

Clematis occidentalis var. occidentalis

Clematis virginiana

Parthenocissus quinquefolia

Wisteria frutescens