Wednesday - October 06, 2004

From: San Antonio, TX
Topic: Edible Plants
Title: Smarty Plants on edible and medicinal native plants
Answered by: Stephen Brueggerhoff

I would like a list of edible & medicinal native plants for the San Antonio area.

There are several local resources to which I can refer you. I recommend the good folks with the San Antonio Herb Society; they may be able to provide a list, or recommend an expert in the area. Also, try Ellen Zimmerman, an Austin-based herbalist, contact info at her website. There is a great book devoted to regional info, entitled "A Practical Guide to Edible & Useful Plants" by Delena Tull that you should be able to check out from your local library. Another useful resource is the "Useful Wild Plants of Texas, the SE & SW U.S., the southern Plains, & Northern Mexico" by Scooter Cheatham & Marshall Johnston; 2 of 12 volumes have been published. You can read about it from the Useful Wild Plants group website.