Monday - February 04, 2008

Title: Viewing of Texas native wildflowers

Can you provide a general listing of when various Texas native wildflowers are in bloom? Also helpful would be a list of areas where these wildflowers could be photographed in their native growing areas? I'm planning a vacation and could use this information.

Let me begin by referring you to a previous answer on this question. As you can imagine, this is the sort of thing many of our correspondents are interested in, especially as Spring begins to be in the air. We have re-checked all these sites, and they're still out there with current information. And, since you already live in Austin, we're sure you know that the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center will be delighted to have you come and visit the flowers there. By mid-March, the blooms will be showing up, and it should be spectacular from there until the end of May. But the Center is beautiful year-round. Even when there are no wildflowers in bloom, the grasses are waving in the wind, the architecture will still take your breath away, and there are always neat things to see in the gift shop. Go to this page on our website on days and hours of operation. Here is just a very small sample of the flowers that will be in bloom during the period of March to May.

Castilleja indivisa

Coreopsis tinctoria

Gaillardia pulchella

Lupinus texensis

Monarda citriodora

Phlox drummondii

Rudbeckia hirta

Salvia coccinea