Monday - February 04, 2008

From: Manchaca, TX
Title: Vines for shade in Central Texas

QUESTION:

We'd like to fill in our long expanse of yard fencing with climbing vines. We are limited by 40' live oaks that cut off the sun but surely something works in the shade and heat!

ANSWER:

There are lots of possibilities for vines that will grow in shade or partial shade in Travis County, Texas:

Berchemia scandens (Alabama supplejack), Parthenocissus heptaphylla (sevenleaf creeper), Parthenocissus quinquefolia (Virginia creeper), and Calystegia sepium (hedge false bindweed) will grow in shade (<2 hours a day) or part shade (2 to 6 hours a day).

The following will grow in part shade (2 to 6 hours a day):

Ampelopsis arborea (peppervine)

Ampelopsis cordata (heartleaf peppervine)

Bignonia capreolata (crossvine), semi-evergreen

Cissus trifoliata (sorrelvine)

Clematis drummondii (Drummond's clematis)

Clematis pitcheri (bluebill)

Clematis texensis (scarlet leather flower)

Cocculus carolinus (Carolina coralbead)

Gelsemium sempervirens (evening trumpetflower), evergreen

Ipomoea cordatotriloba var. cordatotriloba (tievine)

Lonicera albiflora (western white honeysuckle)

Lonicera sempervirens (trumpet honeysuckle), evergreen

Maurandella antirrhiniflora (snapdragon vine)

Matelea reticulata (netted milkvine)

Merremia dissecta (Alamo vine)

Passiflora affinis (bracted passionflower)

Passiflora incarnata (purple passionflower)

Vitis mustangensis (mustang grape)

Vitis cinerea var. helleri (Heller's grape)