Sunday - February 03, 2008

From: Romeoville, IL
Title: Is there a Salvia azurea var. alba?

QUESTION:

Is there a Salvia azurea var. alba?

ANSWER:

Apparently not. The USDA Plants Database shows, besides Salvia azurea, Salvia azurea var. azurea and Salvia azurea var. grandiflora. Salvia azurea var. grandiflora has three synonyms listed for it—Salvia azurea var. intermedia, Salvia azurea var. pitcheri, and Salvia pitcheri.

If you search the Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) for "Salvia azurea", you will find Salvia azurea, Salvia azurea var. azurea and Salvia azurea var. grandiflora listed as accepted names. Salvia azurea var. intermedia, Salvia azurea var. pitcheri, and Salvia pitcheri are listed as synonyms (and therefore not accepted names) for Salvia azurea var. grandiflora.