Mr. Smarty Plants - Official list of invasive plants in Texas.

Friday - January 25, 2008

From: Georgetown, TX
Topic: Invasive Plants
Title: Official list of invasive plants in Texas.

QUESTION:

Is there an "official" invasive / noxious weed list for Texas? I have found several lists, but I wanted to know if there was one truly accepted list for Texas. If not, what would be the #1 list you would recommend?

ANSWER:

Please visit TEXASINVASIVES.ORG. Quoting this web site:

"TEXAS INVASIVES.ORG is a product of the Pulling Together Initiative, a Texas-sized partnership to manage non-native invasive plants. The Pulling Together Initiative is a collaborative project between the Texas Forest Service, the Forest Health Protection branch of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Forest Service, the Central Southwest Gulf Coast Information Node of NBII at the Houston Advanced Research Center and the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center."

The web site has a database of invasive plants with 137 plants listed at this time. Considering the "players" in this organization, I would say that this is the "official" list.