Friday - January 25, 2008

From: San Marcos, TX
Topic: Privacy Screening
Title: Fast-growing evergreen shrub/tree as a screening fence

Our commercially-zoned property is adjacent to a residential area. The city planning and zoning board has said okay to a vegetation boundary instead of a fence for blocking headlights. The requirements are that it reach at least 6 feet tall and be completely opaque within 2 years and it needs to be 5 feet across. We would like something that is evergreen and fast growing, but not invasive. Something that produces berries or flowers would be nice as well. Do you have any suggestions?

There are a couple of relatively fast-growing evergreens that come to Mr. Smarty Plants' mind first:

Leucophyllum frutescens (Texas barometer bush) and Morella cerifera (wax myrtle)

There are several other evergreens that aren't quite as fast-growing, but would also serve your purpose:

Rhus virens (evergreen sumac)

Juniperus virginiana (eastern redcedar)

Ilex vomitoria (yaupon)

Sophora secundiflora (Texas mountain-laurel)

Prunus caroliniana (Carolina laurelcherry)

Leucophyllum frutescens

Rhus virens

Juniperus virginiana

Sophora secundiflora

Prunus caroliniana