Mr. Smarty Plants - Promoting bloom in Chocolate Summer Mimosa

Friday - January 11, 2008

From: Saint Charles, MO
Topic: Non-Natives, Diseases and Disorders
Title: Promoting bloom in Chocolate Summer Mimosa

QUESTION:

Please help! I purchased a Chocolate Summer Mimosa from one of our local nurseries. It was a brand new plant to them and they don't really know much about them. I planted it just 3 years ago as an 18" twig. It is now almost 8 feet tall, lush with foliage and gorgeous! The problem is, it won't bloom! The year after planting we got three blossoms. The next year we got one blossom. Last year we didn't get any. The tree appears extremely healthy. Is there anything I can do to help it?

ANSWER:

Chocolate mimosa must be getting more popular all the time, as we recently answered another question about it. If you go to that link, you will learn that this plant is not native to North America and therefore out of our expertise at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. However, we do try to help with plant care of non-natives that have already been purchased by referring gardeners to websites dealing with them. You will find a great deal of information on mimosas in general at this University of Florida Extension site. It sounds as though either your tree has not matured enough to be blooming or this is some sort of cultural problem, with soil, sun exposure, or nutrition of the plant, and hopefully you will get the information you need.