Friday - January 04, 2008

From: McAllen, TX
Title: Care of the non-native Aralias (Genus Polyscias)

QUESTION:

Today I purchased a POLYSCIAS common name "Aralia" I was told that can be happy inside, little light. Please could you inform me how to take care: feeding, fertilizing, watering needs? Does it bloom? I love it, but they did not know much at the nursery. I live in McAllen, Texas (Rio Grande Valley)

ANSWER:

Our focus and expertise here at the Wildflower Center is with plants native to North America. The Aralias (Genus Polyscias) are native to Southeast Asia and the Pacific Islands and, as such, are really out of the area of our expertise. We can, however, guide you to some sources for information and care of your plants. George A. Elbert has an excellent description of the different species in "Prodigal Polysicas' Return" and Lynn McKamey writes about their "Care and Culture"—both on the Raphnis Gardens web site. Botany.com also has information about caring for and propagating them.