Mr. Smarty Plants - Identification of plant with bell-shaped flowers

Thursday - January 03, 2008

From: Jacksonville, FL
Title: Identification of plant with bell-shaped flowers

QUESTION:

Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, I am in need of a plant name to purchase. It is absolutely beautiful. The plant has light green leaves, the flowers that bloom look like bells (of course they hang upside down) any idea what the name of this plant is?

ANSWER:

The plant you describe sounds like a member of the Family Campanulaceae (Bellflower Family)—for instance, Campanula rotundifolia (bluebell bellflower). Since Mr. Smarty Plants doesn't know the color or size of the flower or whether it is native or an introduced ornamental, it's not going to be possible to give you a more definite identification. If you can photograph the plant and send us digital images, we will more likely be able to give you a name. To learn how to submit photographs, visit Ask Mr. Smarty Plants and read the instructions under "Plant Identification".

Here are several links where you can see photos of various species of the Campanulaceae and, perhaps, identify your plant:

Images of Campanulaceae Taxa

Plant World: Campanulaceae

Atlas of Florida Vascular Plants: Campanulaceae

Digital Flora of Texas, Vascular Plant Image Library: Campanulaceae

Rob's Plants: Campanuiaceae

Dave's Garden: Campanulaceae

The Family Ericaceae (Heath Family) also has plants with flowers that hang down like bells—for instance, Agarista populifolia (Florida hobblebush).

Campanula rotundifolia