Sunday - December 16, 2007

From: San Antonio, TX
Region: Select Region
Title: Culture of Indian paintbrush

QUESTION:

I have never tried to plant the Indian Paintbrush flower before, and I'm not sure what the culture is besides what's on the LBJ Wildflower center website. Are there any tricks for getting a good showing for these?

ANSWER:

The Castilleja indivisa (entireleaf Indian paintbrush) is one of the more spectacular additions to the spring Texas landscape. Since it needs some cold, wet weather before it germinates, it would be well to get the seed in the ground as soon as possible if you are planning a show for this coming spring.

Castilleja indivisa