Sunday - December 16, 2007

From: San Antonio, TX
Title: Time of year to plant Tecoma stans

QUESTION:

I wanted to know when the best time to plant the Esperanza flower (Tecoma stans) was. The information on the website did not give planting dates or soil conditions for this plant. Can you please help?

ANSWER:

The best time to plant a woody plant like Tecoma stans (yellow trumpetbush) is in the late winter when the plant is relatively dormant. However, you can also purchase the "Gold Star Esperanza" cultivar from nurseries in pots, as well as plant from seeds or rooted cuttings. Probably the best time for a potted nursery specimen would be after the last frost in early spring.

Tecoma stans is classified as a deciduous perennial, blooming from spring to fall and, in ideal conditions, year round. It is considered hardy in USDA Zones 9-11, and probably will be okay in San Antonio. A hard freeze, down to 20 deg. may cause it to freeze to the ground, but if it is trimmed to the ground in late winter, it will regrow when it warms up. It needs sun to partial shade, and will grow in a wide variety of soils, including sand and limestone. This Texas Cooperative Extension website will give you more complete information on this plant, with the very apt common name of "Yellow Bells."