Mr. Smarty Plants - Plant identification

Thursday - December 06, 2007

From: Lubbock, TX
Title: Plant identification

QUESTION:

I had a coworker bring back a branch of tree from San Antonio and the end of the branch fans out into a drapery type structure about a foot long with bud looking things all over it, almost fungally looking. I would like to know what it is. Leaf is pinnately compound, similar to mountain laurel leaf. I do not know how else to describe it. Thanks.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants loves to identify plants, but no matter how good the verbal description is, we need something to look at. Can you take a picture and send it in and one of our ID experts will take a look? There are instructions for sending in pictures on the bottom right hand side of the opening page to "Ask Mr. Smarty Plants."