Wednesday - December 12, 2007

From: Fort Meyers, FL
Title: Recommend native plants Florida
Answered by: Candace Fountoulakis

QUESTION:

I live in Fort Meyers Florida. Can you recommend some good native tress and shrubs for my landscape?

ANSWER:

Central Florida has a wide range of species available that will do well and fit your desire to plant natives. I am attaching plant links from our native plant database to help you select trees and shrubs of varying types for your landscape. Your local native plant society can also recommend species that do well in your area. Be sure to visit public gardens to see how large mature plants become so you can choose the correct plant for the correct place.

Click here for a list of recommended trees for your area. Below are some specific examples of shrubs and trees that you could consider for your landscape.

Pinus palustris (longleaf pine)

Chionanthus virginicus (white fringetree)

Cornus florida (flowering dogwood)

Calycanthus floridus (eastern sweetshrub)

Ilex decidua (possumhaw)

Quercus virginiana (live oak)

Ilex decidua

Alnus serrulata (hazel alder)

Callicarpa americana (American beautyberry)

Aesculus pavia (red buckeye)