Friday - November 30, 2007

From: Nashville, TN
Title: Identification of vine with translucent red berries in Tennessee.

During the month of November I have seem in Nashville, TN a vine which appears to be native or a handed-down plant growing behind a restaurant site on a chain link fence. It was loaded with clusters of beautiful bright red translucent berries. The leaves are somewhat heart shaped about 2 inches long and 1.5 inched wide. It is a twining vine and I believe it to be deciduous although it still had leaves in November. It was growing in a hot dry site so must be tough. Any help to identify this plant would be most appreciated as I would like to grow it. Thank you.

Mr. Smart Plants thinks that this sounds a bit like Cocculus carolinus (Carolina coralbead). If this isn't your mystery vine, please take photos and send them. This will help in identifying your plant.  You can find instructions for sending photos under "Plant Identification" on the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants page.