Mr. Smarty Plants - Native bulbs for the northeastern U. S.

Friday - November 23, 2007

From: Valhalla, NY
Title: Native bulbs for the northeastern U. S.

QUESTION:

What native bulbs could we plant in the Northeast? Can they only be planted in the fall as Dutch bulbs are?

ANSWER:

There are several beautiful plants in the Family Liliaceae (Lily Family) that are native to the northeastern U. S. and are propagated by bulbs. The bulbs, like the Dutch bulbs, should be planted early to mid-fall. Since we are a little past mid-autumn, it would be a good idea to get them in the ground right away. They can also be propagated by seeds and bulb scales but they won't be ready to bloom for several years.

You can read an in-depth article about care and propagation of the four lilies listed below, Native Lilies of the Old Field Garden by Philip Fry from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada of the the North American Native Plant Society.

You can also find more information about propagating lilies from bulb scales and seeds.

Here are four beautiful bulb plants native to the Northeast:

Lilium canadense (Canada lily) (and specific care and propagation information.)

Lilium michiganense (Michigan lily)

Lilium philadelphicum (wood lily) (and specific care and propagation information.)

Lilium superbum (turk's-cap lily (and specific care and propagation information.)

For nurseries and seed companies in your area that specialize in native plants, please visit our National Suppliers Directory.

Lilium canadense

Lilium philadelphicum

Lilium superbum