En Espa—ol

Mr. Smarty Plants - Winter trimming of Greggs mistflower

Sunday - November 11, 2007

From: Lago Vista, TX
Topic: Pruning, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Winter trimming of Greggs mistflower

QUESTION:

Do I cut my gregg's mist back to the ground for the winter or just leave it alone?

ANSWER:

We're assuming that you're referring to Conoclinium greggii (palmleaf thoroughwort). This is a sturdy native plant with a long blooming season, extending to November. It has an extensive root system, and will come up from the roots after the winter. In cases like this, we suggest waiting until you are sure the plant has finished blooming, and then cut the stalks down to about 3 inches from the ground. There usually will be a green leaf crown still growing close to the ground. These stalks left above the ground are just a marker so we know where to expect the mistflowers to start coming up in the spring.

Conoclinium greggii