Mr. Smarty Plants - Fast growing shade tree for Phoenix, Arizona

Wednesday - November 07, 2007

From: PHOENIX, AZ
Title: Fast growing shade tree for Phoenix, Arizona

QUESTION:

Would you recommend a fast growing shade tree for Phoenix, AZ that will grow at least 30 ft. high and with a similar canopy in clay soil?

ANSWER:

Here are some possibilities for shade trees in Phoenix. You, of course, realize that even though they all tolerate dry soils, they will need irrigation to establish themselves. All the trees listed below are native to Maricopa County, Arizona.

Acer negundo (boxelder), 35-50 feet

Fraxinus velutina (Arizona ash) or Fraxinus velutina 'Fan tex' (Fan-tex ash), 30-50 feet

Prunus serotina (black cherry), 50 to 80 feet

Chilopsis linearis (Desert willow), 6-30 feet

Sapindus saponaria var. drummondii (western soapberry), 10-50 feet

The next two trees are generally found in riparian settings—along the banks of streams or lakes and would probably require deep watering if not in such a location.

Platanus wrightii (Arizona sycamore), 60-80 feet

Populus fremontii (Fremont cottonwood), up to 90 feet

Acer negundo

Prunus serotina

Chilopsis linearis

Sapindus saponaria var. drummondii