Mr. Smarty Plants - Identification of plant, probably Eryngium leavenworthii (Leavenworths eryngo)

Friday - October 26, 2007

From: Utopia, TX
Title: Identification of plant, probably Eryngium leavenworthii (Leavenworths eryngo)

QUESTION:

burr like bloom shaped like small pineapple,purple in color,grows in a cluster on single stem,dries well

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants assumes you want to know what this plant is. From your description it sounds like Eryngium leavenworthii (Leavenworth's eryngo). Surprisingly, despite its resemblance to them, it isn't one of thistles which are in the Family Asteraceae (Aster Family). It is, instead, in the Family Apiaceae (Carrot Family). You are right, it does dry well and is beautiful in dried flower arrangements. 

Eryngium leavenworthii

Eryngium leavenworthii