Tuesday - October 30, 2007

From: Burnet, TX
Title: care of Red Oak seedling; Quercus buckleyi

QUESTION:

We purchased one of the Red Oaks seedlings for sale to members from the LBJ Ranch ($45). Now that we have it at home we are wondering about the care and feeding. We failed to ask any questions or pick up any information the day we bought it.

ANSWER:

There are several oaks in Texas that share the name Red Oak, but the one that you purchased is Quercus buckley. It is native to an area from southcentral Texas to northcentral Oklahoma with its habitat associated with limestone ridges, slopes and creek bottoms.  It can tolerate alkaline soil as well as neutral to slightly acidic soil. The mature tree can reach a height of 75 ft and a width of 60 ft; something to keep in mind when you are selecting a planting location. It can grow in full sun or partial shade, and is a super shade tree, but keep a leaf rake handy in the fall after its colorful leaves are shed.

The Urban Forestry page from the City of Round Rock offers general tips for planting trees.

Texas red oak
Quercus buckleyi

Texas red oak
Quercus buckleyi