En EspaÑol

Saturday - October 20, 2007

From: Thousand Oaks, CA
Title: Care of non-native house plant

QUESTION:

I have bought a 7 foot bird of paradise indoor plant, and have a decorative pot to place it into. The plant will remain in its plastic pot, will have a liner inside decorative pot, and decorative moss on surface. I have bought a meter to help determine when to water.What else can I do to keep this plant looking beautiful and healthy? Special fertilizer? Cleaner for the leaves? I have positioned the plant next to the French doors, and it will never receive direct sunlight, but gets plenty of indirect for 1/2 of the day.

ANSWER:

Strelitzia reginae (Bird of Paradise) is a native of South Africa. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is centered on the care and protection of plants native to North America. However, we realize that most indoor and potted plants are non-natives, and think you will find the above link helpful in answering your questions.