Mr. Smarty Plants - Looking for evergreen deer proof plants for full sun

Wednesday - October 17, 2007

From: Spring Branch, TX
Topic: Deer Resistant
Title: Looking for evergreen deer proof plants for full sun

QUESTION:

Which plants would be DEER PROOF, will be with almost full sun and will not die completely during winter? besides some plastic ones =) It doesn't matter the size, flowers or not.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants hates to tell you this, but there are no DEER PROOF plants, just DEER RESISTANT ones. Comes the drought or other adverse conditions and the deer may eat plants that under normal conditions they wouldn't eat.

The following are DEER RESISTANT evergreen plants that like full sun to partial shade. Some are large trees, some are shrubs/small trees, and some are smaller herbaceous plants. For variety's sake you could mix them up a bit and make an interesting area.

Leucophyllum frutescens (cenizo or Texas sage)

Ilex vomitoria (yaupon)

Rhus virens (evergreen sumac)

Morella cerifera (wax myrtle)

Prunus caroliniana (Carolina laurelcherry)

Hesperaloe parviflora (redflower false yucca)

Chrysactinia mexicana (damianita)

Juniperus ashei (Ashe's juniper)

Juniperus virginiana (eastern redcedar)

Larrea tridentata (creosote bush)

These final two are moderately resistant to deer, but grow rapidly enough to stay ahead of the deer's snacking.

Wedelia texana (hairy wedelia)

Gelsemium sempervirens (evening trumpetflower)

From the Native Plant Society of Texas you might like to read Camouflage Gardening: Deer-resistant Plants by Patti Simons that lists deer resistant plants, both native and non-native.

Leucophyllum frutescens

Rhus virens

Prunus caroliniana

Hesperaloe parviflora

Chrysactinia mexicana

Juniperus ashei

Juniperus virginiana

Larrea tridentata

Wedelia texana

Gelsemium sempervirens