Mr. Smarty Plants - Identification of giant lilies

Friday - October 12, 2007

From: Ponce de Leon, FL
Title: Identification of giant lilies

QUESTION:

I have giant lilies that I can't identify. The bulbs are about 4" in diameter, the leaves are 4 ft long. The flowers of the pink emerge only in the early summer, the flowers of the red emerge in spring and again in fall. Each flower shoot on the pink have 8-9 flowers on them while the red have an average of 6. The plants multiply rapidly by creating new bulbs.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants loves to identify plants! However, it is almost impossible to do by description alone. Photos make it much easier—so, if you could you send us photographs, we would certainly give it a try. For instructions on how to submit photographs, please visit the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants page and read about "Plant Identifcation" in the lower right corner.