Monday - October 08, 2007

Title: Leaves falling early from red oaks.

The leaves on my Texas red oaks are dropping off prematurely. This usually doesn't happen until late November/early December. I'm wondering if it has something to do with our wet summer, or if I should be concerned about disease or insects? They are growing out of a very rocky limestone hillside. Thanks!

This seems to be a common phenomenon with the red oaks around Austin—at least around Mr. Smarty Plant's house and neighborhood. Some leaves are turning red and/or brown and falling.  A few green ones are falling, too. However, on the majority of the trees there are a large number or leaves remaining. It could well be connected to our very strange wetter and cooler than normal spring and summer or some other environmental cause.  Since this is a general occurrence it is not likely a disease or an insect infestation but just a slight alteration of the normal cycle for the trees.  I don't think this it is something to be overly concerned about.