Monday - October 01, 2007

From: Lawton, OK
Title: Fungi in the flower bed

Found a strange thing in my flower bed, while tilling. It was egg shape, white, with a little purple, soft but tough like leather on the outside, with a small 2 inch root. Curiosity got me so I cut it open. Full of clear gel very slimmy and a hard brownish green center ball. Cut hard center open brown on inside with black dot in center. Looked more like some embryo than plant. Any idea. Thank you.

From your description, it sounds like you've found a developing puffball fungus.  Since fungi are non-vascular plants, they are outside our area of expertise.  However, they are fascinating.  A good place to start an investigation of fungi would be on the Wikipedia site.  You will probably find Tom Volk's Fungi website particularly useful.