Mr. Smarty Plants - Horse herb available by seed?

Tuesday - September 25, 2007

Title: Horse herb available by seed?

QUESTION:

I live in Hays County in Texas, and I would like to plant horse herb on a slope that is now covered with a variety of tall grasses. Is horse herb available in seed form? If so, how may I order some? Should it be planted in fall or in spring? Thank you very much for your help.

ANSWER:

You can find seed companies and nurseries in your area that specialize in native plants by searching in our National Suppliers Directory. In a quick search for Calyptocarpus vialis (straggler daisy or horse herb) in Texas companies with web pages, the only company I found near Austin was McNeal Growers in Manchaca, Texas that listed horse herb for sale as plants. (Please note, McNeal Growers does not carry seed and is a Wholesale Nursery) There are several Austin companies that don't have web pages but do have telephone numbers that you can call (e.g., Barton Springs Nursery, Pots & Plants Garden Center).

Calyptocarpus vialis