Monday - September 24, 2007

From: Longview, TX
Title: American Bittersweet in east Texas

Does American Bittersweet vine grow in east Texas? It grows wild in Indiana and want to find it in our new location, Longview, Texas

Sorry, but Mr. Smarty Plants hasn't been able to find evidence that Celastrus scandens (American bittersweet) has a distribution in East Texas. It has been reported in the Edwards Plateau and the Trans-Pecos regions of Texas and also in several locations in Oklahoma. Since the Oklahoma report says "this species probably occurs throughout the state, but it is inconspicuous during the plant-collecting season", it is certainly worth searching for this plant in suitable habitats near Longview; but, Mr. SP thinks you are going to have to travel north or west to have a chance to see it growing in the wild.

American bittersweet is being threatened in New York and Connecticut by Celastrus orbiculatus (Oriental bittersweet), a nonnative look-alike. You can also see its status in other states.

To learn more about American bittersweet visit Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.