Thursday - September 20, 2007

From: Liberty Hill, TX
Title: Instructions on making wildflower seed balls

QUESTION:

About 2 years ago I visited the LBJ Wildflower Center and picked up a sheet that described how to make wildflower seed mud balls. I've lost the sheet and can't find the directions on your site. Can you please describe this process again for me? What is the best time to place the mudballs in the hill country? I own a few acres in Liberty Hill and would like to create a wildflower meadow. Thanks so much!

ANSWER:

Lots of information of interest to native plant gardeners, including an article on how to make Seed Balls and Wildflower Meadow Gardening can be found at the NPIN Clearinghouse. Fall is a good time to sow wildflower seeds in Central Texas including in Seed Ball form.