Friday - September 07, 2007

From: Sacramento, CA
Title: Plant identification, possibly Datura

I have a wide green-leafed plant that has white flowers. This plant also has some thorny fruits in the shape of mines that float on the ocean. At the moment it is 2 feet high. I'm beginning to wonder if this is something I should discard.

It is very difficult to identify a plant from a written description. It may be surprising to know that there are any number of plants, native and non-native that fit the description of your plant. However, two related species that generally fit the description are the native Datura wrightii (sacred thorn-apple), and the non-native Datura stramonium (jimsonweed). both occur in parts of California.

If neither of these species match your plant, you may submit digital images to us for possible identification. On the lower right corner of the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants home page, you will find instructions for sending images for identification.