Mr. Smarty Plants - Native Texas shrub for privacy screen in hot area

Friday - August 31, 2007

From: round rock, TX
Topic: Privacy Screening
Title: Native Texas shrub for privacy screen in hot area

QUESTION:

Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, I have a lot facing dead west which I'm sure you can understand is brutally hot in the summer. I'm putting in a pool in my backyard and would like to plant a native Texas shrub for privacy. I'd like the shrub to be very thick, fast growing and drought/heat tolerant as my lot is facing a greenbelt for everyone in the community to see. Any advice on the type of plant would be greatly appreciated!

ANSWER:

Some Texas native species that should work well for you are Morella cerifera (wax myrtle), Leucophyllum frutescens (Texas barometer bush) and Ilex vomitoria (yaupon).