Friday - August 31, 2007

From: round rock, TX
Topic: Privacy Screening
Title: Native Texas shrub for privacy screen in hot area

Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, I have a lot facing dead west which I'm sure you can understand is brutally hot in the summer. I'm putting in a pool in my backyard and would like to plant a native Texas shrub for privacy. I'd like the shrub to be very thick, fast growing and drought/heat tolerant as my lot is facing a greenbelt for everyone in the community to see. Any advice on the type of plant would be greatly appreciated!

Some Texas native species that should work well for you are Morella cerifera (wax myrtle), Leucophyllum frutescens (Texas barometer bush) and Ilex vomitoria (yaupon).