En EspaÑol

Mr. Smarty Plants - Low maintenance, low growing native plants

Tuesday - August 21, 2007

Topic: Herbs/Forbs
Title: Low maintenance, low growing native plants

QUESTION:

Mr. Smarty Plants, Could you recommend several low growing easy to maintain plants for planting next to our house. The area for the plants is next to the house(white stone) in between the house and the walkway to the front door. The width is 14 inches between the house and walkway and 24 feet long. Thanks.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants thinks any of these, or a combination of them, would do very nicely:

Chrysactinia mexicana (damianita)

Calylophus berlandieri ssp. pinifolius (Berlandier's sundrops)

Melampodium leucanthum (plains blackfoot)

Monarda fistulosa (wild bergamot)

Salvia roemeriana (cedar sage)

Salvia greggii (autumn sage)

Wedelia texana (hairy wedelia)

Chrysactinia mexicana

Calylophus berlandieri ssp. pinifolius

Melampodium leucanthum

Monarda fistulosa

Salvia roemeriana

Salvia greggii

Wedelia texana