Mr. Smarty Plants - Sources of seeds for Quercus buckleyi

Thursday - August 02, 2007

From: Longmont, CO
Title: Sources of seeds for Quercus buckleyi

QUESTION:

I'm looking for a source for Liners or seed of "Texas oak (Quercus buckleyi)". Can you tell me any sources?

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants checked the Native Seed Network and they offer seeds of numerous Quercus species, but unfortunately, not for Quercus buckleyi (Buckley oak). I also made a quick check of Texas sources (ones with web pages listed) in our National Suppliers Directory and found Hill Country Natives in Austin listing Q. buckleyi for sale. Countryside Trees in San Antonio and Wichita Valley in Wichita Falls both show Spanish oak (Q. texana, a synonym for Q. buckleyi) for sale. You might contact one of these companies (or some of the other companies listed in the National Suppliers Directory in Texas, Oklahoma or Kansas—the native range of Q. buckleyi) to see if they might help you.