Mr. Smarty Plants - Identification of plant growing in Plumbago

Wednesday - August 01, 2007

From: San Antonio, TX
Title: Identification of plant growing in Plumbago

QUESTION:

Help - I have a strange looking plant that recently shot up in a potted Plumbago. I planted the Plumbago in its pot with Miracle Gro potting soil, and have been fertilizing with Miracle Gro as well. It is approx. 52" tall at this point, and only took about 4-6 weeks to grow that much. It has a long straight bright green, smooth "trunk" with fern-like leaves the full height of it that are open during the day, and fold up in the evenings. I have NO IDEA what it could be, but have photos that I'll be happy to share with you. I was told mimosa, but it really doesn't look like one to me.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants would be delighted to try to identify your plant if you will send photos. Here are instructions for submitting photos:

1. Tell us where and when you found the plant and describe the site where it occurred.

2. Take several images including details of leaves, stems, flowers, fruit, and the overall plant.

3. Save images in JPEG format, not more than 640 x 480 pixels in size, with resolution set at 300 pixels per inch.

4. Send email with images attached to id@smartyplants.org. Put Plant Identification Request in the subject line of your email.

You can also read those instructions on the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants page.