Thursday - August 09, 2007

From: Ballwin, MO
Topic: Grasses or Grass-like, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Flowering native perennials for St. Louis

QUESTION:

Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, I'm trying to landscape a yard that sits on rocky clay soil in St. Louis, MO. The front yard has been difficult because of its brutal southern exposure - the afternoon sun cooks everything I've tried! I'm looking for flowering perennials with an emphasis on native species. Do you have any helpful suggestions? I appreciate your time.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants found several plants native to St. Louis County, Missouri that meet your criteria. Mr. SP also has added a few annuals that should do well. Those species will reseed themselves if you will leave the seed heads until they have dropped their seeds. There are also a couple of grass/grass-like species in case you are just looking for "green" to put in your area.

Perennials

Artemisia ludoviciana (white sagebrush)

Callirhoe involucrata (purple poppymallow)

Coreopsis lanceolata (lanceleaf tickseed)

Echinacea purpurea (eastern purple coneflower)

Ratibida columnifera (upright prairie coneflower)

Solidago nemoralis (gray goldenrod)

Symphyotrichum oblongifolium (aromatic aster)

Grass or Grasslike

Bouteloua curtipendula (sideoats grama)

Carex texensis (Texas sedge)

Annuals

Gaillardia pulchella (firewheel)

Monarda citriodora (lemon beebalm)

Rudbeckia hirta (blackeyed Susan)