Mr. Smarty Plants - Yellowing leaves on young bur oak

Monday - August 06, 2007

Topic: Diseases and Disorders, Trees
Title: Yellowing leaves on young bur oak

QUESTION:

I saw your response on 7/25 about leaves on mature live oaks turning yellow, then brown because of excessive rain. The same thing is happening to our young burr oak. Leaves are turning yellowish, then crinkly brown. The chinqapin and live oaks close by do not seem to be affected. Would this situation also affect bur oaks? If not, then do you have any recommendations?

ANSWER:

Quercus macrocarpa (bur oak), a native oak that produces awesome acorns (the "bur" in the name), are affected by the same situations as the live oaks. In fact, the article in Mr. Smarty Plants to which you referred was so good and covered the subject so well, that we don't see the need to repeat anything. Just take this link spots on oak leaves and it should answer your questions.

Quercus macrocarpa