En EspaÑol

Monday - July 30, 2007

From: Rockport, TX
Title: Recommendations for native shade plants in sandy soil

QUESTION:

I live in Rockport, TX, and would like to plant a small, shaded triangular corner (bounded on 2 sides by wooden fence)in my front yard. The area has limited southern exposure due to shading by live oaks & receives little or no sunlight. Soils are sandy. Any recommendations?

ANSWER:

Here are some suggestions for plants found in Aransas County, Texas that should do well in sandy shade or part shade:

Wildflowers:

Argemone albiflora (bluestem pricklypoppy)

Argemone sanguinea (red pricklypoppy)

Callirhoe involucrata (purple poppymallow)

Coreopsis tinctoria (golden tickseed)

Delphinium carolinianum (Carolina larkspur)

Echinacea angustifolia (blacksamson echinacea)

Gaillardia pulchella (firewheel)

Ruellia nudiflora (violet wild petunia)

Sisyrinchium langloisii (roadside blue-eyed grass)

Solidago altissima (late goldenrod)

Tradescantia subacaulis (stemless spiderwort)

Xanthisma texanum (Texas sleepydaisy)

Low shrubs:

Acacia angustissima (prairie acacia)

Amorpha canescens (leadplant)

Hypericum hypericoides ssp. hypericoides (St. Andrew's cross)

Argemone albiflora

Argemone sanguinea

Callirhoe involucrata

Coreopsis tinctoria

Delphinium carolinianum

Echinacea angustifolia

Gaillardia pulchella

Ruellia nudiflora

Sisyrinchium langloisii

Solidago altissima

Tradescantia subacauli

Xanthisma texanum

Acacia angustissima

Amorpha canescens

Hypericum hypericoides ssp. hypericoides