Wednesday - July 18, 2007

Title: Possible identification of native white buddlejas in Austin

I am desperately trying to identify a plant. It looks perennial, is in full sun, is about 7 ft. tall, bloomed white blossoms (similar in form to buddleia) in June, which have now changed from rose-colored berry clusters to dark maroon. the birds love the berries. the deer, which are plentiful, don't touch this plant. it is growing on a rocky hillside in west Austin, Texas. Thank you for your help.

There are native white buddlejas (e.g., Buddleja scordioides (escobilla butterflybush), Buddleja racemosa (wand butterflybush) and Buddleja sessiflora (Rio Grande butterfly bush)) and cultivated white buddlieias (e.g., Buddlieia davidii).

If one of these doesn't look like your plant, please send us a photo of it (one of the whole plant and one with closeups of the leaves and fruit) and we will try to identify it. For instructions for submitting photos, please visit the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants page and read Plant Identification in the lower right corner.

Buddleja scordioides

Buddleja racemosa