Mr. Smarty Plants - How common is white blooming Mountain Laurel

Tuesday - April 01, 2003

From: Hondo, TX
Topic: Plant Identification, Trees
Title: How common is white blooming Mountain Laurel
Answered by: Stephen Brueggerhoff

QUESTION:

Is white blooming Mountain Laurel common?

ANSWER:

There are several species of Mountain Laurel that occur in your range: Sophora secundiflora, common name Texas Mountain Laurel, and Sophora affinis, common name Eve's Necklace. Eve's necklace produces a string of pink to whitish blossoms, and could be the plant in question. There is also a yellow-flowering species (Sophora tomentosa), but this may be out of your range. Proper identification is the key to determining taxonomic attribution. You can access information provided by our our Native Plants Database, a service of our Native Plant Information Network, to help with identifying the range, growth form and pictures for quick comparison of S. secundiflora and S. affinis.

Texas mountain laurel
Sophora secundiflora