Mr. Smarty Plants - Starting program for growing wildflowers on highways in Dallas

Tuesday - March 04, 2003

From: Dallas, TX
Topic: Managing Roadsides
Title: Starting program for growing wildflowers on highways in Dallas
Answered by: Stephen Brueggerhoff

QUESTION:

How can I start a planting program to grow wildflowers along the interstate and highways where I live?

ANSWER:

There was a national program developed in 1973, entitled Operation Wildflower, that was the impetus for national highway beautification with native plants, an expansion of the Federal Highway Beautification Act of 1965. My recommendation to you is to contact your County Commissioner's office to discover what the policies are regarding vegetation management along the public highways in your area, and whom the appropriate contact person might be.