Sunday - July 01, 2007

From: Wagoner, OK
Title: Possible identification of Hydrocotyle bonariensis

QUESTION:

I went to Pedra Island two years ago I saw a plant that grew around the beach. It has a perfectly round leaf that has the stem in the middle of the back side of the leaf. It has small yellow flowers. Could you tell me what this plants is? I brought home a small plant and it is now beginning to fill up a flower bed. I really think it is neat but would like to know the plant's name.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants is thinking you mean Padre Island? Your description brings to mind Hydrocotyle bonariensis (largeleaf pennywort) which does grow on Padre Island. If this isn't your plant, please send us a photo and we will try to identify it. You can read the instructions on how to submit photographs under Plant Identification on the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants page.