Saturday - June 23, 2007

From: Oak Ridge , NC
Title: Tentative identification of Viola sagittata

I am trying to find name of wildflower, Violet growing in adjoning woods. I have not been able to find it on internet. The non-basal leaves are very irregular in shape, grow to six inches, no two alike and darker green than the basal leaves which are the same shape and color of common violet leaves. Flower is a bluish violet with two-up large petals and three down. Pistil is muted golden yellow. Any suggestions where to find info on this violet? Thank you

One possibility for your violet is Viola sagittata (arrowleaf violet). Another possibility is Viola �palmata (early blue violet).

Both of these have features that somewhat match your description. However, it is very difficult to identify plants by description alone. If you can send us a digital photo, we would have a better chance of giving you a definite identification. You can find instructions for submitting photos for identification on the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants page.

Viola sagittata

Viola �palmata