Mr. Smarty Plants - Hardy perennials for Chicago

Friday - June 15, 2007

From: chicago, IL
Topic: Plant Lists
Title: Hardy perennials for Chicago

QUESTION:

I have a duplex condo in Chicago. My basement or 1st floor is at sub-sidewalk level. This "patio" faces east and gets about 4 hours sun a day. It is about 8 feet high and covers an area 15x9. I'd like to plant some perennials that are hearty enough to survive a Chicago winter yet give me color or texture in summer and winter. Any ideas?

ANSWER:

Experience has taught us that it is not possible to adequately design a garden or make specific plant recommendations sight unseen. The light, soil, water, and design considerations for each garden site are simply too complex. But we may still be able to help. The Native Plant Database features a search function designed to help with just your kind of project. In the "Combination Search" section of that webpage, select from the menu choices that are appropriate for your requirements. Once you have identified some species that would be good candidates for your project, read articles from the database appropriate to your project. The articles, "Landscaping With Native Plants" and "Wildflower Meadow Gardening" will probably be most useful to you.