En EspaÑol

Thursday - June 14, 2007

From: Jackson, MS
Title: Year-round wildflower display in Mississippi

QUESTION:

I live in central Mississippi and I'm interested in transforming a 2,000 sq. ft. turf area of my yard into a showy wildflower exhibit that will bloom from now(July) until winter and even possibly through winter. What species of wildflowers would be my best choice and how should I prepare and maintain this area? I'm willing to reseed twice per year if needed for my wildflower show. Any suggestions?

ANSWER:

What a great idea! The Native Plant Database features a search function designed to help with just your kind of project. In the "Combination Search" section of that webpage, select from the menu choices that are appropriate for your requirements. Once you have identified some species that would be good candidates for your project, read articles from the database appropriate to your project. The articles, "Landscaping With Native Plants" and "Wildflower Meadow Gardening" will probably be most useful to you.