Mr. Smarty Plants - Identification of small shrub

Sunday - May 27, 2007

Title: Identification of small shrub
Answered by: Damon Waitt

QUESTION:

Need an identity of a small bush, probably native . There is only a single limb sticking out of a large dense evergreen holly. It is deciduous, has opposite ovate entire simple leaves, and clusters of ovate fruit. Individual fruits presently about 1 cm or less long. The fruits appear black, but when viewed closely are a very dark blue. Fruits are in clusters, one to 4 or 5, on short thin pedicils at leaf axils. Sorry, I do not know how to attach a photo in this context.

ANSWER:

Please send us an email following the instructions below.

1. Tell us where and when you found the plant and describe the site where it occurred.

2. Take several images including details of leaves, stems, flowers, fruit, and the overall plant.

3. Save images in JPEG format, not more than 640 x 480 pixels in size, with resolution set at 300 pixels per inch.

4. Send email with images attached to id@smartyplants.org. Put Plant Identification Request in the subject line of your email.