Monday - November 17, 2003

From: Brenham, TX
Topic: Seasonal Tasks, Wildflowers
Title: Optimum mowing time for acreage with spring wildflowers
Answered by: Stephen Brueggerhoff

QUESTION:

I have several acres where wildflowers grow in the spring, & would like to know when and how often to mow this field for optimum blooms?

ANSWER:

To ensure that you promote optimum blooms from your wildflower meadow, it is recommended not to mow until all the wildflowers have bloomed and most of the seeds have dropped. Leave the clippings to increase the chance of enhanced native plant population for the future. If you have unwanted plants that are threatening to out-compete your wildflowers and grasses, you may have to perform selective trimming or cutting before the actual mowing of the meadow. Some native plants, like native grasses, in your meadow will also influence when and how you mow. You can read and download much more about "Wildflower Meadow Gardening" from our Native Plant Library, a service of the Wildflower Center’s Native Plant Information Network.