Mr. Smarty Plants - Possible identification of Physocarpus opulifolius

Monday - June 11, 2007

From: Mikado, MI
Title: Possible identification of Physocarpus opulifolius

QUESTION:

Can you please tell me what kind of tree has a maple leaf and a white snowball flower?The young and very small tree was already here when i bought my home,it stands only 7 feet tall with a 2 inch thick trunk.

ANSWER:

This sounds a lot like Physocarpus opulifolius (common ninebark). It is the right size and has flowers that match your description. Also, the leaves have a maple-leaf shape. If this isn't your tree, perhaps you could send us a photo to help us identify it. Please visit the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants page for instructions on how to submit digital photographs.

Physocarpus opulifolius

Physocarpus opulifolius