Mr. Smarty Plants - Fragrant native plant to plant on rock wall in New York

Monday - May 28, 2007

From: Camillus, NY
Title: Fragrant native plant to plant on rock wall in New York

QUESTION:

HELLO THERE, I LIVE IN CENTRAL NY. I WAS WONDERING IF YOU COULD SUGGEST A PLANT FOR THIS ROCK WALL ON THE SIDE OF MY HOME. IT IS A NATURAL ROCK WALL, SO BEAUTIFUL!! THE ROCK IS FLAT, ACTUALLY THE AREA I LIVE IN IS CALLED SPLIT ROCK. THE WALL ITSELF MUST BE 25 FEET OR MORE IN HEIGHT. I WOULD LIKE TO PLANT SOMETHING, POSSIBLE A FRAGRENT FLOWER AS IT IS NEAR THE HOUSE AND DOES NOT GET ALOT OF SUNLIGHT (MAXIMUM 2-3 HOURS A DAY). ANY IDEAS WOULD BE APPRECIATED! THANKS!!

ANSWER:

Some plants that might work for you are Sweetshrub, Calycanthus floridus; Heartleaf Foamflower, Tiarella cordifolia; Beetleweed, Galax urceolata; Red Columbine, Aquilegia canadensis; Rue Anemone, Thalictrum thalictroides; Johnny Jump-ups, Viola tricolor (and other Viola species);and various, native woodland ferns.

Tiarella cordifolia

Calycanthus floridus