Monday - May 21, 2007

From: Crystal Lake, IL
Title: Types of Eragrostis lovegrasses that will survive in Northern Wisconsin

QUESTION:

I am interested in plains lovegrass, and know that it primarily grows in southern climates. Do you think it could thrive in northern Wisconsin if it is planted in a protected area? Could it survive the low winter temps?

ANSWER:

It is very unlikely Plains Lovegrass, Eragrostis intermedia would survive the northern Wisconsin winters, even in a protected area. Happily, there are some other Lovegrassses that may perform well there including, Eragrostis spectabilis, Purple Lovegrass or Petticoat Climber and Eragrostis capillaris, Lace Grass - which may be marginal in northern Wisconsin.