From: Brownsville, TX
Title: Reseeding with Gulf cordgrass, Spartina spartinae
Answered by: Damon Waitt

QUESTION:

Are the seeds of Spartina spartinae sterile? If not, when is the best time to harvest for replanting? We are involved in the restoration of the Bahia Grande section of the Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge.

ANSWER:

Apparently not. According to the USDA Plants Factsheet for Spartina spartinae (gulf cordgrass), restoration of coastal sites by seeding is possible although gulf cordgrass is best propagated vegetatively. Currently the Kika de la Garza PMC is evaluating the seed potential of gulf cordgrass. Two accessions have had over 30% seed germination over two successive years. Seed yield has averaged 330 pounds per acre, with approximately 454,000 seeds per pound. Read the USDA Plant Fact Sheet for more information about using gulf cordgrass in restoration projects.